The chemical industry produces thousands of tons of diluted inorganic and organic waste acids containing inorganic and organic impurities. These acid waste streams are often neutralized prior to transfer to wastewater treatment facilities. However, rising operating costs in difficult economic times create the need to recover the acid for further use. Worldwide, stricter environmental regulations also mandate recovery of acid rather than waste treatment.
Pfaudler’s acid recovery capabilities
We offer acid concentration plants with process technology and a complete range of engineering services provided by the Pfaudler Systems group, active in the field of acid treatment and all related services for decades.
Our highly experienced team of process developers, project manager, and experts of all related disciplines evaluate the most appropriate acid recovery system for each given application.
The plants implemented are based on the latest state of technical knowledge, and all plant units are optimized with respect towards investment costs and plant operability. The scope of supply is proven to be suitable with regards to safety and operability.
Since acid is highly corrosive ranging from low to high concentrations, Pfaudler offers corrosion-resistant materials, such as glass-lined steel (Glasteel), fluoropolymer-lined steel, and resistant metals (Zirconium, Tantalum, and Niobium), as well as technologies that help in safely containing and processing acid recovery.
Our capabilities expand across the globe, designing and engineering plants for various acid recovery processes.
Acid Concentration systems - Key features
Extensive experience in corrosion resistant equipment & system design:
- Invented glass-lined steel in 1884
- First to fabricate with Zirconium in 1938 and Tantalum in 1946
- Pioneered use of fluoropolymers for process systems in 1964
- Process design & optimization
- Engineering design
- Performance guarantee
- Installation supervision
- Maintenance services
- Spare/replacement parts
Heat recovery systems integrated into design for substantial operational cost savings:
- Gravity flow integrated into design minimizes rotating equipment, operating costs, and maintenance costs, and to increase system on-line time
- Efficient designs allow for compact system designs, which provide capital cost savings, reduce required plant space, and minimize operational acid volumes to maximize protecting personnel, property, and the environment
- Multiple system designs including forced circulation, thermosiphon, and multi-effect for energy conservation
- Laboratory test facility allows for proof of concept/performance, optimization of design, and data collection for commercial scale system design
- Emission control systems provided as an option to control organics; NOx and other emissions when plant pollution control systems do not exist or are not designed for the additional load
- Utility systems designed and provided for plants where existing utilities are insufficient to service the Acid Concentration System. Control systems are included to provide for safe, reliable operation